A short term housing rental company wanted to identify areas of opportunity to streamline CICD processes, reduce security and downtime vulnerabilities, and improve overall operational efficiency and reduce maintenance.
The rental company’s infrastructure work consists of creation and configuration of all components in the Development, Staging and Product environments using IaC tooling. The components involved consist of all the underlying infrastructure needed to host the Company’s Portals and their API, including build and deployment pipelines.
The current application architecture and DevOps culture and methodology did not support the modern methods necessary to keep their team focused on the future instead of maintaining the past.
RTS Labs facilitated a series of remote interactions with the rental company’s development, infrastructure, data, and product teams. The goal of these sessions was to fully understand the current application architecture and current DevOps culture and methodology.
Following the sessions the team did these activities:
- Build company assets in Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Build GCP assets in company environment
- Create container/artifact registry
- Create lifecycle policy to clean up old images
- Setting up main node pool
- PostgreSQL database instance setup
- Fusion auth whitelist hostnames
- Configured load balancer
- Node auto-scaling
- Code build trigger configuration
- Deployed to Google Kubernetes Engine
- Setting up SSH credentials for access to github
- Tested connectivity
- Architecture diagrams, application, and product details
- Process and workflow documentation
- Workshop session documentation to capture current versus ideal states
- Identify and analyze the company’s DevOps organization and infrastructure composition
- Skills, strengths, and gaps analysis
- Current state vs. future state vision – tooling and process
- Application and infrastructure review – high-level future state objectives